level4.png
Global Moderator 250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
6 people like this: armelqbBattlefield1113Cherrydeath2all546Denbus26Gabriel

Featured by: Wooden Trout

Forward
In DarkRP there are a lot of ignorant, mingy, spiteful, and slippery players that will try at nothing to slip by the rules with an inch of clearance. Rather than kicking the player 3 times in a period of 30 minutes lets talk about alternative methods to preventing further problems with players.

This article assumes that the players your dealing with wants to play the game and are too ignorant to know the ruling, the rules changed without them knowing, OR they simply messed up. It's obvious that you should deal with true mingebags with an iron fist. Additionally this Article is aimed at Admin and Super Admins.

Admin, should work together more often
Due to the nature of how admin and super admin is acquired most admins won't work together as most of them came to be an admin by themselves rather than being introduced as apart of the team. Admin chat is your best friend in getting help or a 2nd opinion. You would expect this to go without saying. This is often one of the biggest problems with paid admin.

Resolving Arguments
Typically you cannot play DarkRP without upsetting someone else (nature of the beast). The best thing to do when two players are fighting is to first remove the fight from the entire server. Make sure they aren't using OOC or any other global chat commands. Get them to the admin room or somewhere where it will be you and the arguing parties. Listen to both sides and give them both a chance to talk. Usually you'll find the truth of the matter or which party is at fault. Typically the faulty party won't want to cooperate or will obviously be the problem source. Rarely will you ever find an argument in which you cannot settle by getting both perspectives. Make sure you address their grieving parties' concern ( if they were randomly arrested make sure they are compensated for the lost gun by the faulty party, ect ).

Admin to Admin Conflicts
Sometimes you many have to resolve an argument with a fellow admin and not everyone communicates between each other very well. Any time you have a beef with another admin you should attempt to follow the following steps, regardless if your rank is higher than theirs or not. If you kick or use admin abilities (sm or assmod) you typically will make the situation much worse.

1. Use admin chat to first try to talk it through. Additionally going to the admin room is a great place to talk it through without gathering a crowd.
2. Another admin that isn't directly involved should facilitate the issue to make sure it's being handled correctly.
3. If this starts to become a flame war, for the sake of the other admin on the server please take it to the forums. Not everyone wants to sit here and listen to your fight and often this will get you in more trouble than whatever was happening before.

Kicking, Should be a last resort
Most admin will kick a player at most to any given rule breaking which is the most devastating thing you can to to a RP player, next to banning him. The player loses their base, printers, guns, and their job (voted into or not). For non Admins that haven't been playing for a few months that often a good reason to stay away from the server (aka ragequit). It's best to kick the player after a warning has been issued or you've at least spoken with them. Also many admin kick players rather than dealing with them as it's not a good time (they are RPing, raiding, ect) and admin is in their way. Reinforcing the Work Together paragraph above: try to find someone else to take care of the player, especially the On Duty admin.

Just Punishments
Now that I've given kicking it's own paragraph we can talk about a better way to punish rule breakers and mingebags. You have a large assortment of tools at your disposal that allow you to stop and punish players. Typically the best way to handle any type of rule breaking is to return the favor to the rule breaking player. If they RDM, you kill them via Assmod. If they random arrested, give them a lengthy rp_arrest. Take obvious care to only return the favor when doing so make sense (don't proplock a propblocker in). Slaying, Freezing, and rp_arrest are your best tools to stopping anything and everything in the server.

Attitude
The majority of this article leads up to this point. I'll be the first to admit when I first started being an admin I didn't have this. Quite often most new admins don't and often younger admins don't. I'm not trying to discriminate you, I'm challenging you not to be like most younger and newer admins.

Having a level head while dealing with players will make people like you more, create less to zero problems from your interventions, and will prevent most boneheaded moves anyone can pull when they are upset. For example: taking the time to find why the player killed you rather than instantly kicking the player often will serve you better as they won't be just as upset when they rejoin AND if they had a valid reason to rejoin you wrongfully kicked them.

Admitting you were wrong is another area that most paid admins will REFUSE to do. Remember that your not the supreme authority and just because you say it's one way it doesn't mean your right. Simply saying your sorry or admitting you were wrong may be the difference between going back to playing or watching for a ban/abuse report on the forums with your name on it.

Do not admin when your angry or upset. If you've got girl problems (I feel bad for you son) or life is kicking you in the face please, PLEASE, PLEASE don't bring that ingame as an admin. Go /superundercover or something that makes sure you won't jump to doing something you may regret later.

Humility is your best friend. Apologizing when needed and being respectful to most players will ensure you won't have problems more than anything else you do. Everyone else wants respect as much as you do.

Last edited by Wooden Trout on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
United States TehPwnerer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod
Unknown Unknown
Great article, Blazedd. Should be featured for all new admins to see and learn from. :P

Profile Chat  

United States Derpington Steele
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
I want to thank you for putting the part about admitting you are wrong. I notice a few people who do this, one in particular who I wont name will not admit they are wrong or drag something on for a long time. Sometimes they just end it with "Well who is the admin here?" When dealing with respected.

Canada Yodaisgreen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Female Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
2 people like this: blazeddGhost
Quote:
If you've got girl problems (I feel bad for you son)

And guy problems <.< people always seem to forget about the girl gamers...For shame

United States Griff_troy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod
Unknown Unknown
*Also tired of admins fighting with admins*
Tis' too often that I see admins disrespecting each other, thinking of each other admin as if they're an idiot.
Admins - We are a bloody team! Not your puppits!

United States death2all546
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Yodaisgreen wrote:
Quote:

And guy problems <.< people always seem to forget about the girl gamers...For shame

most people forget because from what most of us know a majority of gamers are guys (or were just forgetful)

Teh_Pwnerer320 wrote:
Great article, Blazedd. Should be featured for all new admins to see and learn from. :P

i agree this should be a feature article :3

i am the one who truly kills people, i am the one who knocks on doors for your souls to take away!, i am...-looks around- the person who needs to clean his room more often >.<!!!, i am...DEATH!!!...2all546 but most people just call me death
 Profile Chat  

United States blazedd
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:36 am 
Blazedd
level4.png
Global Moderator 250 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Yodaisgreen wrote:
Quote:

Sorry :geek:

That was a joke reference more than anything :b

Profile Chat  
O.P  
United States Lord Trollsidon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 pm 
respected.png
666 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
blazedd wrote:
Forward
In DarkRP there are a lot of ignorant, mingy, spiteful, and slippery players that will try at nothing to slip by the rules with an inch of clearance. Rather than kicking the player 3 times in a period of 30 minutes lets talk about alternative methods to preventing further problems with players.

This article assumes that the players your dealing with wants to play the game and are too ignorant to know the ruling, the rules changed without them knowing, OR they simply messed up. It's obvious that you should deal with true mingebags with an iron fist. Additionally this Article is aimed at Admin and Super Admins.

Admin, should work together more often
Due to the nature of how admin and super admin is acquired most admins won't work together as most of them came to be an admin by themselves rather than being introduced as apart of the team. Admin chat is your best friend in getting help or a 2nd opinion. You would expect this to go without saying. This is often one of the biggest problems with paid admin.

Resolving Arguments
Typically you cannot play DarkRP without upsetting someone else (nature of the beast). The best thing to do when two players are fighting is to first remove the fight from the entire server. Make sure they aren't using OOC or any other global chat commands. Get them to the admin room or somewhere where it will be you and the arguing parties. Listen to both sides and give them both a chance to talk. Usually you'll find the truth of the matter or which party is at fault. Typically the faulty party won't want to cooperate or will obviously be the problem source. Rarely will you ever find an argument in which you cannot settle by getting both perspectives. Make sure you address their grieving parties' concern ( if they were randomly arrested make sure they are compensated for the lost gun by the faulty party, ect ).

Admin to Admin Conflicts
Sometimes you many have to resolve an argument with a fellow admin and not everyone communicates between each other very well. Any time you have a beef with another admin you should attempt to follow the following steps, regardless if your rank is higher than theirs or not. If you kick or use admin abilities (sm or assmod) you typically will make the situation much worse.

1. Use admin chat to first try to talk it through. Additionally going to the admin room is a great place to talk it through without gathering a crowd.
2. Another admin that isn't directly involved should facilitate the issue to make sure it's being handled correctly.
3. If this starts to become a flame war, for the sake of the other admin on the server please take it to the forums. Not everyone wants to sit here and listen to your fight and often this will get you in more trouble than whatever was happening before.

Kicking, Should be a last resort
Most admin will kick a player at most to any given rule breaking which is the most devastating thing you can to to a RP player, next to banning him. The player loses their base, printers, guns, and their job (voted into or not). For non Admins that haven't been playing for a few months that often a good reason to stay away from the server (aka ragequit). It's best to kick the player after a warning has been issued or you've at least spoken with them. Also many admin kick players rather than dealing with them as it's not a good time (they are RPing, raiding, ect) and admin is in their way. Reinforcing the Work Together paragraph above: try to find someone else to take care of the player, especially the On Duty admin.

Just Punishments
Now that I've given kicking it's own paragraph we can talk about a better way to punish rule breakers and mingebags. You have a large assortment of tools at your disposal that allow you to stop and punish players. Typically the best way to handle any type of rule breaking is to return the favor to the rule breaking player. If they RDM, you kill them via Assmod. If they random arrested, give them a lengthy rp_arrest. Take obvious care to only return the favor when doing so make sense (don't proplock a propblocker in). Slaying, Freezing, and rp_arrest are your best tools to stopping anything and everything in the server.

Attitude
The majority of this article leads up to this point. I'll be the first to admit when I first started being an admin I didn't have this. Quite often most new admins don't and often younger admins don't. I'm not trying to discriminate you, I'm challenging you not to be like most younger and newer admins.

Having a level head while dealing with players will make people like you more, create less to zero problems from your interventions, and will prevent most boneheaded moves anyone can pull when they are upset. For example: taking the time to find why the player killed you rather than instantly kicking the player often will serve you better as they won't be just as upset when they rejoin AND if they had a valid reason to rejoin you wrongfully kicked them.

Admitting you were wrong is another area that most paid admins will REFUSE to do. Remember that your not the supreme authority and just because you say it's one way it doesn't mean your right. Simply saying your sorry or admitting you were wrong may be the difference between going back to playing or watching for a ban/abuse report on the forums with your name on it.

Do not admin when your angry or upset. If you've got girl problems (I feel bad for you son) or life is kicking you in the face please, PLEASE, PLEASE don't bring that ingame as an admin. Go /superundercover or something that makes sure you won't jump to doing something you may regret later.

Humility is your best friend. Apologizing when needed and being respectful to most players will ensure you won't have problems more than anything else you do. Everyone else wants respect as much as you do.

Feature Dat shit NAO!!!!!

Last edited by Lord Trollsidon on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]