United States Frost
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm 
Frost
level4.png
Administrator Global Moderator 1000 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
OS X Chrome
It's nice when people use the application, not only so I can look them up and stuff... but more so in the fact that I get an email alert everytime someone submits an app.

Then I don't forget.

But I added you anyway.

Last edited by Frost on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O.P  
United States Soldier8D
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:39 am 
respected.png
750 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
1 person liked this: Wheatley
I'd just uh, like to file a complaint of sorts.
Call me a Debbie Downer(syndrome if you're Spice)
but this whole "God" thing is terrible.
While it's neat and fun, it's a server-killer.
Let me explain.

Far over 3/4 of the server are mods and admins, aka Gods. That leaves a small percentage of players that are "normal."
Now, these normal players start to think "Oh, why don't I get a cool temple/spells/nametag?" This has already happened in the case with Gaius. This makes it so they get bored of being normal, and leave.

Next up come the gods.
They make a super duper cool temple for the 1/4th to go to, and few people do. The Gods get bored, because frankly, you're supposedly a God but can't do anything without an admin (build, etc.) and most don't want to do survival because "IM A GOD HURRHURHURHRU" So the Mods/Gods/etc will get bored and quit.

Another thing this creates is that "unequal start" that Frost was worried about. If the majority of players are Gods, the minority are behind without spells and the nametag.

In politics, this is called devolution. With so many admins and mods, the server loses quality. This is what happens when everybody wants admin and moderator or something. If we had stuck with being builders that would've been fine while a select few had the ability to actually moderate. (Kicking trolls, banning dicks, etc.)
Instead, being a moderator means nothing.

Remember the first SSMC? It did great until Cherry and the other head people started building gigantic creations that used WorldEdit and all that. Then those of us without the powers quit because it was disheartening to have to mine for hours to do something that took the admins a few seconds.

So what I'm saying is that if we're going to pretend to do survival, let's actually DO survival. No Gods, no Mods, just a few builders (with almost no powers) and a few admins (Siam, Frost, Cherry).
Or Creative.
Or Tekkit.
But not this Gods thing.
/rant

United States siameseSerpent
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 am 
respected.png
Featured Articles: 2 500 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Soldier8D wrote:
I'd just uh, like to file a complaint of sorts.
Call me a Debbie Downer(syndrome if you're Spice)
but this whole "God" thing is terrible.
While it's neat and fun, it's a server-killer.
Let me explain.

Far over 3/4 of the server are mods and admins, aka Gods. That leaves a small percentage of players that are "normal."
Now, these normal players start to think "Oh, why don't I get a cool temple/spells/nametag?" This has already happened in the case with Gaius. This makes it so they get bored of being normal, and leave.

Next up come the gods.
They make a super duper cool temple for the 1/4th to go to, and few people do. The Gods get bored, because frankly, you're supposedly a God but can't do anything without an admin (build, etc.) and most don't want to do survival because "IM A GOD HURRHURHURHRU" So the Mods/Gods/etc will get bored and quit.

Another thing this creates is that "unequal start" that Frost was worried about. If the majority of players are Gods, the minority are behind without spells and the nametag.

In politics, this is called devolution. With so many admins and mods, the server loses quality. This is what happens when everybody wants admin and moderator or something. If we had stuck with being builders that would've been fine while a select few had the ability to actually moderate. (Kicking trolls, banning dicks, etc.)
Instead, being a moderator means nothing.

Remember the first SSMC? It did great until Cherry and the other head people started building gigantic creations that used WorldEdit and all that. Then those of us without the powers quit because it was disheartening to have to mine for hours to do something that took the admins a few seconds.

So what I'm saying is that if we're going to pretend to do survival, let's actually DO survival. No Gods, no Mods, just a few builders (with almost no powers) and a few admins (Siam, Frost, Cherry).
Or Creative.
Or Tekkit.
But not this Gods thing.
/rant

... You know, I actually have to agree on some fronts. I have brought it up with Frost that the majority of players are gods so the temples really serve no purpose. I intend to have a long discussion with him tomorrow and hopefully have a major rework to make everyone equal. @Frost I would love if you would contact me privately so we can really get back to the server roots. The original god idea was great, but it requires far more population than we currently have. We said at the beginning we did not want hardcore RP unless the players wanted it, and obviously not many of them do.

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cherry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 am 
Cherry
owner.png
Administrator 2000 posts +
Show user details
Cherry Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Windows 7 Chrome
2 people like this: Battlefield1113Soldier8D
I still think running a pure anarchy server would be a hell of a lot of fun. There'd be no need for admins or anything really. A basic spawn and then once you clear out of it, the world is free roam. TNT it to shit, PvP for shit, or find a secluded area and build up your base and foundations and fortifications to keep other out, with no rules or restrictions.

Yes, you'd die a lot, be griefed a lot, and you'd be mad, but wouldn't that make it more fun? It'd be like many other games (DayZ for one, and many other rogue-like insta-game-over death games), that you always come back to, habr a run for X days/hours or whatever, died, raged, and come back again at a later date.

Profile Chat  
United States Frost
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:03 am 
Frost
level4.png
Administrator Global Moderator 1000 posts +
Show user details
OS X Chrome
Well this is interesting. I'm just going to spell out a few points here.

1. I didn't bring up the spells thing. When Cherry approached me about running the MC server, he and I both agreed on making it Vanilla Minecraft. No complex plugins, just basics. The god thing came from the construction of the Admin castle in spawn. I saw the movie Immortals, thought it would be cool to make a Mt. Olympus. Spells came later when someone suggested it. Folks seemed to like it, so I went along with it despite it being non-vanilla.

2. I think the anarchy will be fun. No doubt. The sneakiness, etc. Sure, I'm a little down about not being able to build coo stuff that everyone can see and admire, but really my main concern is the morale of the community. I feel like if people grief each other, they'll get mad and quit. Happened before, we've seen that. Worse yet, they'll come on the forum, and generate negativity. Their negative emotions, i'm afraid, might carry to other interactions in the community itself.

But hell, why not?

And just so I don't have to write another post to explain this, I talked to Cherry. That's what we're going to do.

So ya'll know.

O.P  
United States Soldier8D
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 am 
respected.png
750 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Could we set aside a creative area like on the old server? So we can still build neat stuff.

EDIT: This anarchy thing is starting to get rules.

Last edited by Soldier8D on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States Nexus Hornet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:23 am 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
iPad Safari
Problem with total anarchy:
Remember what Hammurabi did?
He just kept killing everyone.
Some boundaries should be placed though.
Just a few

Profile Chat  

United States Chris Hanson
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
I personally like the gods idea. As a god, you are only allowed access to the spells YOU can grant (correct me if i'm wrong)

By each god creating their own temple, it gives a wide variety on the different types of quests required by each god to grant the player their spells.

And to those that are complaining about "too many mods/admins," what are the chances that EVERY SINGLE one of us will be online at the same time? I, personally, am on at night around 2am (central US) because of the times I work at.

There will be those admins/mods that are on at different times. I do not see a conflict here.

Another valid point. This "Uneven Start" that Soldier talked about isn't true. The mods/admins are only allowed to be in creative to build their temples, and then they must be in survival like everyone else. The only powers we really have over "regular" players is the ability to grant spells to players, and to kick/ban people. Thats it.

Feel free to comment.

/endrant

oh and here is a teaser of the progress of my temple, the Temple of Life"

Spoiler: Toggle

Last edited by Chris Hanson on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

http://www.facebook.com/nightstormparty
http://www.nightstormparty.com
 Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cobra HJR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 pm 
respected.png
Featured Articles: 1 1000 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
Anarchy sounds fun.

Canada Spice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:26 pm 
respected.png
666 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
Why don't we just have different worlds? One anarchy world, one creative world, one survival with spells, and others if people want it. Like the old SSMCs had.

Profile Chat  

United States Helios Arcos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:29 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
Spice wrote:
Why don't we just have different worlds? One anarchy world, one creative world, one survival with spells, and others if people want it. Like the old SSMCs had.

I doubt the box could run all three of these worlds at once.

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cherry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm 
Cherry
owner.png
Administrator 2000 posts +
Show user details
Cherry Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Windows 7 Chrome
1 person liked this: Hat
Helios Arcos wrote:
Spice wrote:

You're kidding right? NodeCraft server boxes are specifically designed to do one thing; run minecraft servers. Each box runs upwards of ~ 25 servers.

I'm only allocating 1.5GB RAM to SS though, if we want to use more than that, we'll need to get people donating again.

Profile Chat  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Tapatalk Firefox
Cherry wrote:
Helios Arcos wrote:
Spice wrote:

You're kidding right? NodeCraft server boxes are specifically designed to do one thing; run minecraft servers. Each box runs upwards of ~ 25 servers.

I'm only allocating 1.5GB RAM to SS though, if we want to use more than that, we'll need to get people donating again.

That's what I meant, I should've worded that differently. I meant that with the current server specs, I don't think it would run three worlds at once very well. We would need donations to get more RAM, like you said

Profile Chat  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:38 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Tapatalk Firefox
Also, @Frost , KaosKraft is anarchy..

Profile Chat  

Canada MaldorLevr
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:59 pm 
Banned
respected.png
100 posts +
Show user details
None specified Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Windows 7 Chrome
Yeah I changed it to anarchy, we weren't getting any players and while I'm working on another thing for minecraft the server was empty so I decided to do something with it.

Me: "..."
 Profile Chat  

United States Battlefield1113
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:37 pm 
Battlefield
level4.png
Global Moderator Abuse Manager Featured Articles: 1 2000 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
I agree. I said that to frost in TS but I guess he didn't hear me or whatever. THere were way too many God's. I figured there would only be the ones who had thrones up in Olympus but then fuckin everybody became a god. Mods, builders etc. I mean kinda bummed if I won't end up using my temple but at least I had fun building it.

Total Anarchy is best. Just keep spawn town protected and then from there no rules.

Edit: Plus this leaves the whole "Well shit two is better then one" mentality. By this I mean people will begin to ally with each other so that they can increase survivability chances.

Last edited by Battlefield1113 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hat in a Cat: I DONT KNOW THE METAPHORICAL NUMBER
 Profile Chat  

United States Nexus Hornet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
TRUST NO ONE

Profile Chat  

United States Enderman
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
respected.png
Featured Articles: 1 250 posts +
Show user details
Windows 7 Chrome
1 person liked this: Spice
I agree with Battlefield about having waaaaay too many gods. Yeah, it's a neat little addition to the server, but with the Mods being practically the equivalent of Admins when it comes to the power of the gods, it takes away a lot from the regular players. Especially when everyone gets a temple.

Profile Chat  

Page 2 of 4 [ 75 posts ] 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next