United Kingdom Cobra HJR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm 
respected.png
Featured Articles: 1 1000 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown

Featured by Wooden Trout

I guess the reason you are here is because someone has broken the rules. Remain calm, don't go ahead and post a flame report. You will make yourself look like a fool, just sit back, relax and read this article. Then you will know exactly how to post an efficient, successful, good-looking ban report.

What to report and what not to report

What NOT to report

• Kicks
There is no need to report a kick. Just re-join, ask why you have been kicked and resolve it on a calm manner with that admin. Posting a report about being kicked will waste the time of the moderators and generally anger them. Do not do it. Please, do not take a single kick to the forums.

• Demotes
Please do not report demotes. You lost your job, go get yourself a new one. If you think it was a random demote then ask an admin to help you out. If it was an admin that demoted you, ask him why, remember to be mature and calm when doing this. Please, do not take a demote to the forums.

• A Level 4 Is Online
If there is a Level 4 online, please, try to contact them. They are here to help you sort a situation, even if they are busy with a gunshop still contact them. When a Level 4 is online please try your hardest not to bring it to the forums. If there are other admins online please try to bring it to their attention too. Level 4s in-game will help handle situations which an Admin or Super Admin cannot. Battlefield has recently added to his topic that this is a fairly lenient rule for many reasons such as, in Battlefield's words: "It is possible that they are AFK, busy with another problem, log off before hand/right after, or simply have been logged off and you didn't notice." Just try to remember that Level 4s are here to help.

• Small Offenses
Many, may reports have been of perhaps one minor case of NLR or one minor case of RDM. Things like this can be handled in-game by admins. Small offenses like this can easily be handled by an admin. If someone RDMs once, report it to an admin and hopefully the offender will be kicked. If it is again, another small offense such as propclimb then once more, report it to an admin. Of course, if it is numerous amounts of small offenses then bring it to the forums, things such as multiple RDMs then leaving to avoid punishment should be brought to the forums. Unless a Level 4 is online at the time. But things such as a single case of propclimb or NLR should not be taken to the forums. These should be handled in-game. Remember. If no admins are in-game there is the option to vote-kick or vote-ban.

What you SHOULD report

• Threats of DDOS and Hackers
This is one thing you should DEFINITELY report if you have the right proof. Hacks or DDOS threats aimed at the server are very serious matters and will almost ALWAYS result in a permanent ban. If you witness hacks such as aimbot or wallhacks please post as quickly as possible as we do not want hackers in our servers. This is exactly the same with someone who threatens to DDOS the server. This alone in a report will be enough for a permanent ban, although it may be easier to alert a Level 4 and show them the proof. HACKERS ARE NOT WANTED IN OUR SERVERS.

• Multiple Cases of Rule Breaking
This applies to things such as Mass RDM or Random Arresting half the server. If someone breaks multiple rules whilst online, collect the evidence and file a report. We may allow people to get away with a simple kick for one case of RDM but people who constantly break rules deserve to be banned.

• Major Disrespect e.g. Racism, Constant Bullying etc
Frost wrote:
If you do, however, decide to do anything that makes somebody feel unwelcome here, I will see to it that you get banned. It may be a permanent end to your stay here with us.
We do not tolerate anyone making any member of the community feeling like they don't deserve to be here or that nobody likes them here so they should just leave. We are a COMMUNITY, nobody should be disrespecting anyone, especially not enough to think they are being bullied. Another thing we NEVER tolerate is racism, it is just wrong and you will be banned if caught being racist towards others.

How to format your ban report

• The Title
Remember that the title is one of the most important parts of the report. For example, if someone was posting a ban report on myself it would be titled as so: [Request] Cobra HJR - STEAM_0:0:31052044. Without this title many people will already have some bad feeling about your report. Especially if it is titled something such as: "I got RDM Arrested" and the whole report is a general fail. The title being correctly formatted will help people take more interest in your report.

• The Report
The format for the actual report can be found on the first link I have given at the bottom of this article. It is named "How to make a VALID report". Once on this topic you will find 3 formats, one for a ban appeal, one for a ban report and one for an admin abuse report. The one you will be needing is the format for the ban report. It should look like this:
Spoiler: Toggle

How to correctly fill your ban report

• Getting Your SteamID
It is very simple to get your SteamID. Just use this easy, efficient tool: http://sammyservers.com/forums/steamid.php simply input the url of your community page and there you have it. Your own SteamID. Another way is to just look at the loading screen when joining one of the servers. It shows your SteamID on there too. You can also type !steamid whilst in-game and it will bring up your SteamID for you. As you can see, there are many very easy ways to access your SteamID so this is one of your simplest parts to the report.

• Getting The SteamID Of The Offender
To get the SteamID of the offender you can simply click their name on the Tab menu whilst in-game. If they leave before you can do this it should appear saying something around the area of "Cobra HJR has disconnected (STEAM_0:0:31052044)" in the console when they leave. If you also don't do this then the SteamID can be found here: http://sammyservers.com/gmodlogs/. Simply find the offender's name in the logs and you will find the SteamID too.

• Explaining What They Did
This is the vital part of your report. Make sure this section is very easy to read, if there are a lot of things you need to explain try and make the important parts stand out. For example, if you were RDMed multiple times make sure the proof of being killed in the logs is in bold so that it stands out. Remember that grammar is your friend, try and make sure your grammar and spelling is to your best ability. If your report is one long paragraph which is extremely hard to read then it is highly likely many people will disregard it. Especially if you haven't bothered to format it properly.

• Checking For In-Game Admins
This is very simple, if an Admin is online they will have one of four tags.

A Regular Admin will have this tag next to their name in the tab menu:Image
A Super Admin will have this tag next to their name in the tab menu:Image
A Level 4 Admin will have this tag next to their name in the tab menu:Image
You will know if the Owner is online.

• Getting Proof
Proof of the rule breaking is the one thing which may bring a terrible report back to life. This is the absolute main thing you must have when putting together a ban report. To get proof from the logs for things such as kills, arrests, racism etc. Go here: http://sammyservers.com/gmodlogs/ This will provide chat logs from DarkRP and Fretta, assmod logs from DarkRP and Fretta and SM logs from DarkRP and Fretta. REMEMBER: The logs never lie. The logs will help you with many situations so use them to your advantage. They will also provide the SteamID of the offender. Also, try to remember the time and date of the situation as it can be a hassle digging through them for a long time. Many people such as myself also record videos of people breaking rules for evidence, using software such as Fraps or WeGame and of course people take pictures using the screenshot feature of Steam which is binded to F12 as default.

The do's and don'ts of commenting
battlefield1113 wrote:
Do's:
Post ORIGINAL/NEW evidence.
Post logs.
Post a defense(if you're being reported for admin abuse) with an explanation.
Post saying what is being said is not true. (With evidence saying it isn't true.)
Post further unbiased information of the reportee's past.(I.E. "I've had problems with him noclip abusing before"[NOTICE: Must explain situations.])

Don't's:
Post punishment suggestions.(I.E. He should be banned for two days.)
Post thank you's. (I.E. I appreciate it *name*)
Post unnecessary things. (I.E. what so and so said is true[NOTICE: You can say this >IF< a bans manager ask for more witnesses/reassurances or if you post the above with NEW/own explanation of what happened.])
Post unrelated questions. (I.E. Why is the server crashing so much lately?)
Post fabricated/false evidence. (Self explanatory. This is really stupid and you'll most likely get caught and will be banned.)
Post rehashed posts.(I.E. Member A:"*posts MOTD* He can no clip while building."
Member B: "Abuse because of no-clip? Are you dumb, it specifically states in the admin rules within the MOTD that one of the benefits of having admin is using no-clip to build...therefore it is aloud in every single way. *re-lists MOTD*)
Post things that have NOTHING to do with the ban

What to do AFTER commenting
After posting on a ban report take into account any replies you get and use them wisely, do not take it as an offense and create a flame war. Try to post more/new evidence that will help assist the report or give your side of the story if you were a witness to the incident. After this, let a bans manager handle the rest and be proud you contributed to the ban. Unless of course you posted off-topic and got a board warning... then you shouldn't be proud of what you did.

More useful topics
There are many, very useful topics that have been created to help you with your ban reports.
Here are links to some of them:

Feel free to add comments, criticism, corrections whatever. It will only help me ;)

Last edited by Wooden Trout on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 12 times in total.

O.P  
Ireland Irish Aaron xD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:17 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Man, I love how this new article feature is being used!

OT: Very nice guide Cobra!

http://soundcloud.com/aaron-oconnell3/a ... mini-mix-2
 Profile Chat  

United States Wooden Trout
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:34 pm 
Wooden Trout
level4.png
Featured Articles: 2 500 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
I'm Wooden Trout, and this is my favorite article in this section.

Nah, but in all seriousness, this article is VERY needed here; I look forward to seeing the finished product. Throw a Steam chat my way when it's complete. ;)

Wooden Trout: BUM CUM?
Wooden Trout: GAY
Gunz: YES
Gunz: VERY GAY ZEBRA BUM CUM

Profile Chat  

United States Erickarkos
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:37 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Thank you, I'm sick of all the people reporting because they got kicked. Hopefully someone will read this before making a ban report.

Last edited by Erickarkos on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Chat  

United States Helios Arcos
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:07 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Not to be a grammar freak or anything, but I think I should point just a couple of errors in here that you could fix to make your article more grammatically correct.

CobraHJR12 wrote:

Please note this is Work In Progress.

I guess the reason you are here is because someone has broken the rules. Remain calm, don't go ahead and post a flame report. You will make yourself look like a fool, just sit back, relax and read this article. Then you will know exactly how to post a efficient, successful, good-looking ban report.

What to report and what not to report

What NOT to report

• Kicks
There is no need to report a kick. Just re-join, ask why you have been kicked and resolve it on( This should be in not on. ) a calm manner with that admin. Posting a report about being kicked will waste the time of the moderators and generally anger them. Do not do it. Please, do not take a single kick to the forums.
  • Demotes
Please do not report demotes. You lost your job, go get yourself a new one. If you think it was a random demote then ask an admin to help you out. If it was an admin that demoted you, ask him why, remember to be mature and calm when doing this. Please, do not take a demote to the forums.
  • A Level 4 Is Online
If there is a Level 4 online, please, try to contact them. They are here to help you sort a situation, even if they are busy with a gun-shop( This dash is unnecessary ) still contact them. When a Level 4 is online please try your hardest not to bring it to the forums. If there are other admins online please try to bring it to their attention too. Level 4s in-game will help handle situations which an Admin or Super Admin cannot. Level 4s are here to help.
  • Small Offences( Should be Offenses )
Many, may reports have been of perhaps one minor case of NLR or one minor case of RDM. Things like this can be handled in-game by admins. Small offences( Should be Offenses ) like this can easily be handled by an admin. If someone RDMs once, report it to an admin and hopefully the offender will be kicked. If it is again, another small offence( Offense ) such as prop-climb then once more, report it to an admin. Of course, if it is numerous amounts of small offences( Offenses ) then bring it to the forums, things such as multiple RDMs then leaving to avoid punishment should be brought to the forums. Unless a Level 4 is online at the time. But things such as a single case of prop-climb or NLR should not be taken to the forums. These should be handled in-game.
Remember. If no admins are in-game there is the option to vote-kick or vote-ban.

How to format your ban report

How to correctly fill your ban report

The do's and don'ts of commenting

More useful topics

There are many, very useful topics that have been created to help you with your ban reports.
Here are links to some of them:

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Pallal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:15 pm 
Lead Bans Manager
level4.png
1000 posts +
Show user details
None specified
Unknown Unknown
My god... someone that knows what to do that isn't a bans manager, I think im going to cry :')

United States Battlefield1113
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:19 pm 
Battlefield
level4.png
Global Moderator Abuse Manager Featured Articles: 1 2000 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Again, be sure to check my updated posts of when to not make a report as I have edited it. ;)

All in all good idea. this way they have absolutely no excuse as it's am article, they're stickied in the bans section, when making a topic it shows you all of the links as well as the do's and don't's and finally that massive image in the bans section.

Last edited by Battlefield1113 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hat in a Cat: I DONT KNOW THE METAPHORICAL NUMBER
 Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cobra HJR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Thanks for all the support! :') I will re-read it battle ;)

arceus: thanks for the help;) The offences bit, I knew it was offenses but damn spell check said it was offences! QQ

O.P  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm 
Wooden Trout
level4.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
CobraHJR12 wrote:

arceus: thanks for the help;) The offences bit, I knew it was offenses but damn spell check said it was offences! QQ

It can be spelled either way. Europens usually spell it "Offence", whereas Westerners usually say "Offense".

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Profile Chat  

United States siameseSerpent
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 am 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Wooden Trout wrote:
CobraHJR12 wrote:

It can be spelled either way. Europens usually spell it "Offence", whereas Westerners usually say "Offense".

It is debatable. Depends on where you live/how you learned it.

Last edited by siameseSerpent on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Ozzypig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 am 
respected.png
100 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
1 person liked this: Wooden Trout
Nice article, deserves to be featured.

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cobra HJR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:10 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Well, it's finally finished :D [/laziness]

O.P  
United States Helios Arcos
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:21 pm 
respected.png
250 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Wooden Trout wrote:
CobraHJR12 wrote:

Firefox and Dictionary. com told me my way, I don't know.

Profile Chat  

Canada Red
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
1 person liked this: Wooden Trout
Very nice Cobra :clap: This will set some people straight ;)

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cobra HJR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Thanks Red :D + Thanks for the editing and the feature Wooden :D

<3 you guys ;D

O.P  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 pm 
Wooden Trout
level4.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
CobraHJR12 wrote:

<3 you guys ;D

You bet. We needed this little nugget on up on the main page. ;)

Keep up the good work, home dog.

Profile Chat  

United Kingdom Cobra HJR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:13 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Wooden Trout wrote:
CobraHJR12 wrote:

<3 you guys ;D

You bet. We needed this little nugget on up on the main page. ;)

Keep up the good work, home dog.

Hehe, nugget. xD

I'm thinking of another article to do with appeals or Admin Abuse maybe. Something to do with bans anyway.

---
- Dis message. Dat iPod.

O.P  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]