United States siameseSerpent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:35 am 
respected.png
Featured Articles: 2 500 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
10 people like this: Battlefield1113ClementineFrostGhotilgsrfan01Helios Arcosjohnyelland1234MegellsOlympiaSuperTG
Featured by Frost

Introduction to Stocks
Hello, and welcome to the world of stocks! Whether you are a stock holder or a stock broker, this guide will teach you the do's and don'ts of a DarkRP stock market. A stock market works by having preset items with default values. Each of these items will having a changing "stock value" that will determine the price a customer buys a stock for, and what they sell it back to you for. THERE IS NO /STOCK COMMAND. It is manual, and you must do this.

Stock Broker
So, you have entered the banker job, but no business at your bank? To the stock market! This section of the guide will teach you as a stock broker how to balance stock values, the items you will be selling, and how to run a stock market.

1.The Basics.
You have set up shop, but now what? How do you know what the stock values are, or what stocks are even?
The first step to a stock market is setting stocks. To do this you will need;
    A list of 3-7 stock items.
    A random number generator in steam broswer, or the /roll command.
    Textscreen abilities.

Textscreens
Spoiler: Toggle

To begin to set a stock level, you must choose the items your customers will be trading with. The items I commonly use are;
    Gems - 500 dollars default value.
    Plutonium/Platinum - 400 dollars default value.
    Gold - 300 dollars default value.
    Silver - 150 dollars default value.
    Bronze - 50 dollars default value.

After you have created your list of materials, you must set your beginning stock values. These will constantly be changing with each stock change (~5-10 minutes in between stock changes).

Setting stock values is the most important part of selling stock, as it determines the buy/sell prices.
To set a stock value, you must use a random number generator or the /roll command. Make sure you set the values at a reasonable level depending on the item. Recommended values are;
    Gem - 1-50 Value
    Plutonium/plat. 1-30 Value
    Gold - 1-30 Value
    Silver - 1-25 Value
    Bronze - 1-10 Value.

These limits will keep the money issue in check, so you don't lose 150 dollars on a bronze piece!

Now that you have your limits set, use your way of getting random values. There are two ways of determining if the value is down or up (- or +)

Method 1: Roll a number between 1 and 100 first,if this number is odd then the value goes down, even is up. This is not the number you will use for a value, but a decider for the up and down.
    Method 2: The value you get for the item is up or down depending on the number rolled (e.g. odd is down, even is up)
Now, incorporate all of the past steps into a textscreen for visual reference to the customers.

Writing out stocks.
As a stock broker, it is suggested a gang be able to rob you in some way. To fix this issue, use the /write command to keep record of the stocks people have purchased. If a gang steals one of these (recognizable by having your signature on the bottom of the record) you will have to pay the current value of that stock to the gangster, and trash it.

To trash your stocks, just use a bin or a small container. This allows you to not get mixed up between stocks that are in effect or outdated.

Selling the stock.
When you are selling stock, many people do not understand the concept and think it is a scam. Your job is not to scam people for money, but to be fair and help the customer. The stock value applies both to the price that the customer purchases it for, and the amount you pay him when he sells it back to you. If a customer overpays, don't lie about it, let him know.

Customer

This section of the guide will teach you what you need to know about buying stocks and selling them back.
I will use an example here to explain to you how stocks work.

Example Stock Sign below;
Gems - 500 (-21)
Plutonium - 400 (+5)
Gold - 300 (0)
Silver - 150 (+25)
Bronze - 50 (-1)

The best deal here is the gems. As you can see, the value of gems is down 21. This means you buy one gem for 21 dollars less, then when the stocks go up to say:
Gems - 500 (+15)
You sell back your gems, and you just gained 36 dollars profit, plus your original investment! Profit!

Conclusion and Ending Statements.

Now that you know the basics of buying and selling stocks, here are a few helpful hints;
    You may lose money in the beginning as a broker, but as you continue, your salary and stock income will be worth it. Note: Only do this job if you want to. It can get boring at times, but this is a job you have to love to do. Start this job with atleast 500 dollars. Always keep records of stocks, even old ones. Use the Banker job while doing stocks, as it fits the occasion. Always make sure you tell the public that server crashes do not ensure that stocks are saved. The server crashes on occasion, and you can't be the one responsible for remembering 15 stocks that are currently active.

I hope you learned a lot from this guide, and hope you use it well. The most important sentence I can tell you is, Have fun!

Events

ALMIGHTY GODS OF STOCK.

Last edited by Frost on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Bump.
I really want feedback.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
United States Frost
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm 
Frost
level4.png
Administrator Global Moderator 1000 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
siameseSerpent wrote:

Introduction to Stocks
Hello, and welcome to the world of stocks! Whether you are a stock holder or a stock broker, this guide will teach you the do's and don'ts of a DarkRP stock market. A stock market works by having preset items with default values. Each of these items will having a changing "stock value" that will determine the price a customer buys a stock for, and what they sell it back to you for.
Maybe mention here that this isn't an official implemented SSRP feature (I think). That way, when people who don't read say, "THE /STOCK COMMAND DOESNT WORK!!!", you can just laugh at them.

Stock Broker
So, you have entered the banker job, but no business at your bank? To the stock market! This section of the guide will teach you as a stock broker how to balance stock values, the items you will be selling, and how to run a stock market.s

1.The Basics.
You have set up shop, but now what? How do you know what the stock values are, or what stocks are even?
    Textscreen abilities.
I would explain how to set up a textscreen. Even though it's a common feature, you want to write your article as if the person is completely new to the server... which could be the case.

To begin to set a stock level, you must choose the items your customers will be trading with. The items I commonly use are;

After you have created your list of materials, you must set your beginning stock values. These will constantly be changing with each stock change (~5-10 minutes in between stock changes).

Setting stock values is the most important part of selling stock, as it determines the buy/sell prices.
To set a stock value, you must use a random number generator or the /roll command. Make sure you set the values at a reasonable level depending on the item. Recommended values are;
    Gem - 1-50 Value
    Gold - 1-30 Value
    Silver - 1-25 Value
    Bronze - 1-10 Value.

These limits will keep the money issue in check, so you don't lose 150 dollars on a bronze piece!

Now that you have your limits set, use your way of getting random values. There are two ways of determining if the value is down or up (- or +)

Method 1: Roll a number between 1 and 100 first,if this number is odd then the value goes down, even is up. This is not the number you will use for a value, but a decider for the up and down.
    Method 2: The value you get for the item is up or down depending on the number rolled (e.g. odd is down, even is up)
Now, incorporate all of the past steps into a textscreen for visual reference to the customers.

Writing out stocks.
As a stock broker, a gang must be able to rob you in some way. To fix this issue, use the /write command to keep record of the stocks people have purchased. If a gang steals one of these (recognizable by having your signature on the bottom of the record) you will have to pay the current value of that stock to the gangster, and trash it.
Gangs do not have to have something to steal... they only have to be able to break in. If you have nothing physical for them to steal, that's their problem to get past, not yours.

To trash your stocks, just use a bin or a small container. This allows you to not get mixed up between stocks that are in effect or outdated.

Selling the stock.
When you are selling stock, many people do not understand the concept and think it is a scam. Your job is not to scam people for money, but to be fair and help the customer. The stock value applies both to the price that the customer purchases it for, and the amount you pay him when he sells it back to you. If a customer overpays, don't lie about it, let him know.

Customer

This section of the guide will teach you what you need to know about buying stocks and selling them back.

Gems - 500 (-21)
Plutonium - 400 (+5)
Gold - 300 (0)
Silver - 150 (+25)
Bronze - 50 (-1)

The best deal here is the gems. As you can see, the value of gems is down 21. This means you buy one gem for 21 dollars less, then when the stocks go up to say:
Gems - 500 (+15)
You sell back your gems, and you just gained 36 dollars profit, plus your original investment! Profit!

Now that you know the basics of buying and selling stocks, here are a few helpful hints;
    You may lose money in the beginning as a broker, but as you continue, your salary and stock income will be worth it. Note: Only do this job if you want to. It can get boring at times, but this is a job you have to love to do. Start this job with atleast 500 dollars. Always keep records of stocks, even old ones. Use the Banker job while doing stocks, as it fits the occasion. Always make sure you tell the public that server crashes do not ensure that stocks are saved. The server crashes on occasion, and you can't be the one responsible for remembering 15 stocks that are currently active.

I hope you learned a lot from this guide, and hope you use it well. The most important sentence I can tell you is, Have fun!

Other than that, interesting article, and certainly worth the read. It makes me want to get into DarkRP and try it. See all my notes in orange in that quote.

Also, as a suggestion, maybe have some spoiler/screenshots to spice it up. Not necessary though.

Canada SuperTG
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:36 am 
guest.png
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod
Unknown Unknown
First Sorry for my English its not my native language

Last night I try your stock market and I really like the idea, but what i see is that the people does not like the idea that it was randomly generated, and some doesn't want to buy because of that. I loved to own an stock market its a new kind of shop that is nice to have and i dont find it boring.Thanks for your article

Profile Chat  

United States Battlefield1113
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 am 
Battlefield
level4.png
Global Moderator Abuse Manager Featured Articles: 1 2000 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
SuperTG wrote:
but what i see is that the people does not like the idea that it was randomly generated,

Uh..... Do you not know how stocks work? They're almost never static and hardly stay in one place. One day it goes up 10 points, the next day it goes up 20 points, the next day it goes down 40 points etc. The stock market can be doing awesome one day then all of a sudden everything can go to shit. I.E. The stock market is doing decent but then drops 300 points in one day.

Hat in a Cat: I DONT KNOW THE METAPHORICAL NUMBER
 Profile Chat  

Canada SuperTG
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 am 
guest.png
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod
Unknown Unknown
Battlefield1113 wrote:
SuperTG wrote:
but what i see is that the people does not like the idea that it was randomly generated,

Uh..... Do you not know how stocks work? They're almost never static and hardly stay in one place. One day it goes up 10 points, the next day it goes up 20 points, the next day it goes down 40 points etc. The stock market can be doing awesome one day then all of a sudden everything can go to shit. I.E. The stock market is doing decent but then drops 300 points in one day.

I know how its work but , what i heard, is they wanted to be rely on something not just randomly generated maybe iam not clear anyway they are fear to get scam because we control the Generator

Last edited by SuperTG on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Chat  

United States Denbus26
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:45 pm 
respected.png
500 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
1 person liked this: SuperTG
Battlefield1113 wrote:
SuperTG wrote:

I think that he means that it isn't predictable. In real life, you can watch trends and keep an eye on the company's decisions to have some idea of what the market is going to do.

Except for this part, thats not quite as boring.
 Profile Chat  

Canada SuperTG
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 pm 
guest.png
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod
Unknown Unknown
denbus26 wrote:
Battlefield1113 wrote:
SuperTG wrote:

I think that he means that it isn't predictable. In real life, you can watch trends and keep an eye on the company's decisions to have some idea of what the market is going to do.

yeah, exactly what i am trying to say, like i said sorry for my English

Profile Chat  

United States Frost
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 am 
Frost
level4.png
Administrator Global Moderator 1000 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
Just ran a stock exchange with Clementine (and Khyber) tonight. I must say, it was pretty fun, and I will certainly do it again. We basically followed the OP's plan, except changed some of the stocks. We set the initial prices as follows:
RED - Redstone = $250
NDGO - Naughty Duck-Growling Organization = $50
GG - Gunz' Guns = $100
FUKC - Fun Uplifting Krazy Cats = $200

Then, every 15-20 mins, Clementine would roll a 4-sided die for each stock. 1-2 would be an increase. 3-4 was an decrease. Then he would roll a 10-sided die for each stock to find the percent amount it increased/decreased. I recorded the amounts on paper, as well as on the textscreen... and here are our results.
RED - $250 > $400 > $160 > $176 > $88
NDGO - $50 > $75 > $98 > $118 > $224
GG - $100 > $190 > $380 > $114 > $148
FUKC - $200 > $140 > $238 > $286 > $372

When people bought stock, we gave them a note saying what stock. When someone returned stock, they needed a note. If you lost your note, you lost your stock. (We eventually ran out of notes... couldn't find a way to clear them.) When people cashed in, we took out a 10% broker fee.. which led us to making $343 each in profit.

Not bad, not bad.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2011-08-25 at 12.53.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2011-08-25 at 12.53.15 AM.png [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 8874 times ]

Last edited by Frost on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States Clementine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 am 
respected.png
Featured Articles: 1 250 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
I had those dice for DnD :D

I know we will be doing this again, if only we could find a better way then /write, we eventually hit the note limit, we got sad :c

(OOC) Zaros: DEATH BY MONIEZ
CLEMENTINE PADDLEFORD killed Cherry using weapon_real_cs_knife <----- OMGOMGOMG
 Profile Chat  

United States Denbus26
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm 
respected.png
500 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
I'm thinking about getting cooperation from various gun and drug dealers along with bounty hunters and things to set up a stock market that reflects the current economy. Do you think it would work?

Except for this part, thats not quite as boring.
 Profile Chat  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:41 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
denbus26 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting cooperation from various gun and drug dealers along with bounty hunters and things to set up a stock market that reflects the current economy. Do you think it would work?

It would work, although this would mean having a lot more merchandise to deal with.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Frost wrote:
siameseSerpent wrote:

Introduction to Stocks
Hello, and welcome to the world of stocks! Whether you are a stock holder or a stock broker, this guide will teach you the do's and don'ts of a DarkRP stock market. A stock market works by having preset items with default values. Each of these items will having a changing "stock value" that will determine the price a customer buys a stock for, and what they sell it back to you for.
Maybe mention here that this isn't an official implemented SSRP feature (I think). That way, when people who don't read say, "THE /STOCK COMMAND DOESNT WORK!!!", you can just laugh at them.

Stock Broker
So, you have entered the banker job, but no business at your bank? To the stock market! This section of the guide will teach you as a stock broker how to balance stock values, the items you will be selling, and how to run a stock market.s

1.The Basics.
    Textscreen abilities.
I would explain how to set up a textscreen. Even though it's a common feature, you want to write your article as if the person is completely new to the server... which could be the case.

Gem - 1-50 Value
    Gold - 1-30 Value
    Silver - 1-25 Value
    Bronze - 1-10 Value.

Writing out stocks.
As a stock broker, a gang must be able to rob you in some way. To fix this issue, use the /write command to keep record of the stocks people have purchased. If a gang steals one of these (recognizable by having your signature on the bottom of the record) you will have to pay the current value of that stock to the gangster, and trash it.
Gangs do not have to have something to steal... they only have to be able to break in. If you have nothing physical for them to steal, that's their problem to get past, not yours.

Selling the stock.

Customer

Gems - 500 (-21)
Plutonium - 400 (+5)
Gold - 300 (0)
Silver - 150 (+25)
Bronze - 50 (-1)

Gems - 500 (+15)

Other than that, interesting article, and certainly worth the read. It makes me want to get into DarkRP and try it. See all my notes in orange in that quote.

Also, as a suggestion, maybe have some spoiler/screenshots to spice it up. Not necessary though.

I added all this stuffs. Will be adding in some spoilers and maybe a screenshot or two into this.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
SuperTG wrote:
denbus26 wrote:
Battlefield1113 wrote:
SuperTG wrote:

yeah, exactly what i am trying to say, like i said sorry for my English

Refer to the stock limiting section. This allows for customers to have a safe "feel", as well as your pocketbook. Also, I am adding an optional setting about "Events". Even if they do think it is a scam, the stocks WILL go back up eventually.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
Canada Winter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 pm 
respected.png
100 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
I've lost $4392.93 in the past week.
Until your equal in my investment loss, you may speak.

Profile Chat  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Hurburt wrote:

In stocks? You need to get better with stocks. Have this guide open >_>

Profile Chat  
O.P  
United States Olympia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:09 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
None specified Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
You seem to have forgot to mention the founding fathers of stock marketing :D
But yeah, Nice guide Siamese

Profile Chat  

Canada Winter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm 
respected.png
100 posts +
Show user details
Unknown Unknown
siameseSerpent wrote:
Hurburt wrote:

I was talking about reality. The economy fucked my investments over.

Profile Chat  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:26 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Hurburt wrote:
siameseSerpent wrote:
Hurburt wrote:

I was talking about reality. The economy fucked my investments over.

Ah.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 pm 
respected.png
Show user details
Unknown Unknown

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
Done for the time being. Will be adding some screenies later. Open to requests!

Last edited by siameseSerpent on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Chat  
O.P  
 Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] 

Go to page 1, 2  Next