THE BASICS OF KEYPADS AND HYDRAULICS- A GUIDE!
Featured by Wooden TroutKeypads alone can be a pain in the rear to deal with if you are new to them,
same with hydraulics. Lately I have seen many people who do not know how to use either of these tools so I decided to make a guide on these two tools. Reading this guide, if you are new, will help you a lot when it comes to DarkRP by avoiding the time it takes trying to see what someone else is doing from third person. Without further ado, here is my guide to the basics of keypads and hydraulics!
THE BASICS TO KEYPADS!
1) First off, you are going to need a prop that you would like to make into a fading door. Any prop can be made into a fading door, I just prefer this one.
2) Now, open your "prop menu" and look for 'Keypad' Under 'Del's tools' and place your keypad around your door. Refer to the MOTD for keypad regulations.
3) Under 'Del's tools', you should also find a tool called 'Fading Doors', make certain that the keypad's "Accepted button" is the same as your fading door button, or it will not work.
4) Enter your keypad code into the keypad. If done correctly, the prop should now be invisible and able to walk through. If not, check to make sure you correctly entered the code and the buttons match up.Now let's move on to something more advanced.Have you ever been to a gun store and seen the box that delivers the goods? This section will focus on how to make that kind of box.
1) Make your two props you want to act as the doors. Again, I am using the prop I used in the previous section.
2) Set one of the props as you would a regular door (Refer back to the first section). As for the other prop, make sure your buttons match up or this will not work and enter the settings as seen in the picture.
3) If the prop disappeared, don't worry! It is supposed to do that. You have now just created the basic "Gundealer Box". If the prop did not disappear, make sure you have 'Reversed' enabled.
4) From here, you need to create a keypad or button that triggers these doors. I created a button, as shown. Once you press the button, the first prop should go invisible while the second prop turns visible again. If this works, congratulations! You have just mastered the basics of keypads!---------------------------------------------
Hydraulics can be used to make doors, elevators, bridges, etc. Hydraulics can also be annoying to deal with if you do not know what you are doing. The following section will show you the basics to use the hydraulics.HYDRAULICS- THE BASICS
1) Start off with a prop, any prop will do. After you have created the prop, use the 'Stacker' tool to create another prop parallel to the original prop, leaving a little space inbetween.
2) From there, open your prop menu, go to tools, and find 'Hydraulics'. Set your distance, speed, etc. This part can be confusing without a tutorial. The prop you wish to keep stationary, click that prop FIRST, then the same area parallel to the stationary prop. Do this with all four corners.
3) Unfreeze the prop that is meant to move. You may do this by pressing 'r', or using the physgun like I did. This is to make sure the prop will actually move when activated.
4) Attach a button near the prop (Again, refer to the MOTD for guidelines). Press the button that matches with the hydraulics and see if it moves. If it does not move, check your button/hydraulics setting, or make sure you placed the hydraulics correctly.If your prop moved, then you have correctly and successfully created your hydraulics door! This can be a huge advantage when it comes to base building!I hope this guide helped you understand keypads and hydraulics better. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thnak you for reading my guide and good luck RP'ers!