TOOLBOX
Homie, Guest
Register Login
Servers

Sammy Servers Public Servers

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:01 am




 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
United States Wooden Trout
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:48 am 
Wooden Trout
level4.png
User avatar
Featured Articles: 2 500 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 527

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
21 people like this: Ant BrahBattlefield1113blazeddCherryHatPallalPegazSofaKing!Ultra LulzZac and 11 more users
Image

Featured by Frost

Opening notes

With the influx of recent donating admins, and the various issues that have arisen, I felt an article would help ease things right along into our brand new Mentor Program. The proverbial "Cement to the bricks". I realize this general idea has been covered by c00ter, however, this Article deals more with the technical aspects of being an admin such as...

  • When/how to hand down judgement.
  • How to avoid admin abuse repercussions.
  • General advice with admin-to-admin conflict.

Let's start off with some frequently-asked questions, and their answers!

A Q&A With a Veteran SA

As a new admin, you may have some questions on when it's okay or advised to use your admin powers. In this section, I'll go over a few of the questions I'm commonly asked by our newer donating admins.

  • Q: This user is so annoying! Can I just Perma-gag him and be done with it?
    A: Under the MOTD, you are allowed to gag players that disrespect you, or disrupt roleplay. However, it is highly recommended that you find an alternate solution, such as an rp_gag, or simply trying to talk it out with the user in the admin room, or via PMs.

  • Q: I just kicked a user for "Learn the rules, minge." Was this okay?
    A: No. This is not only rude, it is unspecific. The user has a chance of being uncertain what they were kicked for, and any admins investigating will struggle to determine the actual rule broken by the user. This goes for similar commands such as sm_pgag, as well.

  • Q: I'm getting angry at this user who's breaking the rules. What should I do?
    A: Restrain the user, take a moment, and cool off. Acting out of vengeance/anger/frustration will more often result in action being taken against you as well, if not solely. Remember: An irate admin is as dangerous to himself as he/she is to an opposing party.

  • Q: I have an issue with another admin. How should I deal with this?
    A: A good question. Admins of equal rank (Or those of a higher rank) should refrain from exercising their commands on one another until ALL OTHER possibilities have been exhausted, including third-party arbitration from a peer, or higher-ranked admin. Possibly the only exception to this rule is if the admin in question's behavior must be immediately halted for the greater good of the server such as when the offending admin is disrupting a large portion of the server's RP without reason.

Any members with further questions to add to the Q&A section are more than welcome to PM me directly, and if I feel the question would help our admins do their job better, I will add it to the section. For now, let's continue.

When And How to Hand Down Judgement

This section will give information on the basics of how to go about giving punishments to users who break the rules. These techniques will vary case-to-case, and you will develop a sense on how to go about specific scenarios as you gain experience throughout your admin career.

As a general rule-of-thumb, discussions with rule-breakers and the punishment of said users should take place in a private place, such as the admin room. If you don't feel you need to take the incident to the admin room, simply speak with them via /PM. In the event they insist on making the argument public, making use of the rp_gag command will prevent them from using any public chat channels, like /OOC or /Advert; this will force them to speak in vicinity chat, keeping the incident isolated, and removing the possibility of RP being disrupted. When dealing with a rule-breaker that could result in punishment for you or them, ALWAYS HAVE ALL INVOLVED PARTIES USE TEXT. Proving you're right later on, if the need arises, will be much harder without log proof.

As an admin, you have a large number of commands at your disposal to deal with users who violate our MOTD. It's your responsibility to uphold our server rules using these commands, but keep in mind that enough is enough when dealing with rule-breakers. Never dish out punishment for vengeance. As stated in the above section, your admin commands should almost never be used on your peers.

Interfacing With Your Colleagues

It can be tough at times to agree with (Or even tolerate) the other admins of our community, but we're all a team here. Just like in any team, there will be disagreements; it's only natural. Just make sure not to let these petty squabbles turn into self-destructive personal arguments.

People get angry, there's no way around that fact, but how you vent your anger can make or break your reputation and your credibility. No one likes being yelled at, as such, you lose much of your credibility with others when you speak in an angry or offensive way. A well thought-out sentence will gain more support from those around you (And sometimes from your adversary) than will a sentence strewn with curse words and personal attacks. Let's have an example:

A fellow admin has just kicked one of your friends for a reason you feel is inadequate, or incorrect. He is adamant in his decision to kick him, and you get angry. Which of these sentences is he more likely to listen to?

    A) "Why did you do that, asshat? He didn't do anything, but you just had to get butthurt and fucking kick him."
    B) "Can you please explain why you kicked him? I didn't witness him break any rules."

Obviously, sentence B will get your point across much better than pointlessly yelling at him will. Not only that fact, but other admins that hear you attack him might get up-in-arms for his cause rather than helping your friend. The golden rule we've learned since our youth is possibly the best advice for getting along with your fellow admins, and other users in general. "Treat others the way you would like to be treated."

While we're on this subject, Let's talk about speaking to a more experienced admin. Too often I see the newer admins of this community slighting the advice, or warnings given to them by veterans. Yes, you are the same rank, but let's face facts - some people have been here longer than you, and they have helpful advice that you can use to do your job better!

Closing Comments

Admin abuse reports will happen, there's no denying it. However, that doesn't mean they have to be the end of you. The simplest way to avoid job-threatening abuse reports is to not abuse in the first place. This can be difficult at times, but hopefully this guide will do a bit to keep you on-track in your upcoming career as an admin here on SammyServers!


Last edited by Frost on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.


________________
Yui Hirasawa: SUNBLOCK COMES FROM BLACK PEOPLE
Gunz: SUNBLOCK IS ZEBRA BUM
Gunz: CUM
Wooden Trout: BUM CUM?
Wooden Trout: GAY
Gunz: YES
Gunz: VERY GAY ZEBRA BUM CUM

Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
O.P  
United States Ant Brah
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:25 am 
Member
guest.png
User avatar
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 38
Nicey Daddy. Like.



________________
Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States SofaKing!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:05 am 
SofaKing
respected.png
User avatar
100 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 207
Nice write up! :)

SofaKing!



________________
I'm in the United States of America! Give me liberty or give me death!! *Dies*
Contact me about SS's daily shenanigans? Contact me here or at : [email protected]
Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States Chris Hanson
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:15 am 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 255
Very good article!!!

offtopic: did anyone else notice trout spelled "admin" wrong in the picture? :p



________________
Image

http://www.facebook.com/nightstormparty
http://www.nightstormparty.com
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
Sweden Smokey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 am 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
Show user details
None specified Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 46
Nice Wooden , Like it alot!



________________
Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States SofaKing!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 am 
SofaKing
respected.png
User avatar
100 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 207
alembluex wrote:
Very good article!!!

offtopic: did anyone else notice trout spelled "admin" wrong in the picture? :p



Shiz happens... Cover it up with a rotated chat bubble and add text!

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/ ... _2.svg.png

Image

SofaKing!



________________
I'm in the United States of America! Give me liberty or give me death!! *Dies*
Contact me about SS's daily shenanigans? Contact me here or at : [email protected]
Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States Wooden Trout
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 pm 
Wooden Trout
level4.png
User avatar
Featured Articles: 2 500 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 527

CURRENTLY SERVER BANNED
SofaKing! wrote:
alembluex wrote:
Very good article!!!

offtopic: did anyone else notice trout spelled "admin" wrong in the picture? :p



Shiz happens... Cover it up with a rotated chat bubble and add text!

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/ ... _2.svg.png

Image

SofaKing!

I actually did that on purpose. ;P

Whenever I'm teasing other admins about what they're doing, I'll call "Amdin aboose" rather than legitimate "Admin abuse". I always imagine minges doing the same, for some reason.



________________
Yui Hirasawa: SUNBLOCK COMES FROM BLACK PEOPLE
Gunz: SUNBLOCK IS ZEBRA BUM
Gunz: CUM
Wooden Trout: BUM CUM?
Wooden Trout: GAY
Gunz: YES
Gunz: VERY GAY ZEBRA BUM CUM

Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
O.P  
United States Clementine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 pm 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
Featured Articles: 1 250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 457
1 person liked this: Wooden Trout
Very well written article Wooden, ya hit the nail on the head here. Also, may I suggest you add a section about newer admins dealing with more experienced admins? Something along the lines of letting newer admins know that at times they will be told to do/ not to do things by more seasoned admins, and to respect that fact, and not to blow up and cause a whole boatload of unneeded drama. I see this happen far too often on the servers.



________________
Image
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Zaros was killed by spawned_money
(OOC) Zaros: DEATH BY MONIEZ
CLEMENTINE PADDLEFORD killed Cherry using weapon_real_cs_knife <----- OMGOMGOMG
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States Woweebananas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:58 am 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 23
Very helpful! Answers some questions that I've asked myself during admin-hood :3



________________
This is a signature, I can assure you O_o
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States Anderson Conagher
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:06 am 
Banned
respected.png
User avatar
250 posts +
Show user details
None specified Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 439
How can administrators make mic-users use text? We can't mute people without sourcemod, and I think it's considered abuse for that reason as well.



________________
Image

(OOC) Kiwi C [R]: fuck the uu clan

Experienced admin and roleplayer.
CCA founder, leading alongside Battle and Skies.
Bad aim, 9 frames, inaccurate.
Fairly passive-aggressive.
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States c00ter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:36 am 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 254
You could record what they say. Ask a admin with SM to mute them. Just kick em.



________________
Steam chatting with frost wrote:
8:57 PM - Frost: HOT
8:57 PM - c00ter: LOL
8:58 PM - c00ter: CREAPER!
8:58 PM - c00ter: CREEPER
8:58 PM - Frost: erm... i mean
8:58 PM - Frost: ... um..
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States Enderman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 am 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
Featured Articles: 1 250 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 497
1 person liked this: Wooden Trout
Anderson Conagher wrote:
How can administrators make mic-users use text? We can't mute people without sourcemod, and I think it's considered abuse for that reason as well.

For the reasons of logs and proof of what was said, I make the people I am dealing with use text so I can record what they are saying to tell if they are lying and back it up with facts.


Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
United States Acewolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 am 
Moderator
level4.png
500 posts +
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 563
Honestly, if they refuse to type still, call a level 4. Nothing makes our days brighter than banning someone for doing something and then saying "if I don't type it, you cant ban me".

Note: make post about this being a bannable offense for a day or so. (not using text when an admin asks you to)



________________
People suck, but the good one's swallow. -Gunz
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
Canada The Great One
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:18 pm 
Member
respected.png
User avatar
Show user details
Male Plays Gmod Plays Minecraft
Unknown Unknown
Posts: 72
Very well written article, if you could somehow make it so all new admins must read over this, it would be awesome. The last time i was on darkrp i saw quite a bit of admin aboose, but then again, it was a while ago.



________________
Image
Offline
 Profile Chat  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron